Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sassy puppy's....

...They are my favorite ;)

My poor sassy puppy decided he wanted to go for a run this morning... Except he wanted to do it by himself without a leash... After a little over an hour in 20 degree temps he decided to come home... Shivering. Now mama covered him and is giving him some love now that he's out of timeout!

My dog really is like one of my ducklings. The Hubster said he is absolutely NOT allowed to sleep in our bed while he's gone, but I think I'll be sleeping on the couch more than anything :) so the pup can sleep with me there :)

I did learn a good lesson when I got this dog. No matter how strong you are, there will come a point when you take your child to the humane society for a monthly visit and leave with an animal. Middle duckling and I went to play with some of the dogs and kitty's and never before did I feel the urge to bring an animal home like I did with our puppy. He was 10 weeks old and he was amazing with middle duckling. He gave him kisses, he would just sit on his lap and lick his fingers, he let duckling poke and pull and explore him and did nothing but kiss him and sit on him or right at his side. I had tears in my eyes and before I could realize what was coming out of my mouth I said "we'll take him!" The lady just looked at me and went to get a counselor to get the process started. Needless to say, we left with a puppy. An hour later the Hubster came home from work and I was scared to death of what he'd say, and although he was mad to say the least, by the end of the night he was in love with him too. The pup has had his moments of trying us to the point of almost getting rid of him (chewing through the side of his crate and taring the side of our bed apart!) but we love him and went and got him a metal crate, lol. He's 10.5 months old right now and other than his car anxiety he's a great dog.

He also reminded us exactly how poisonous raisins are to dogs... I came home last week to the vomit massacre of 2013 and realized he'd eaten the baby ducklings raisins for her that morning, but now he's well and happy again!

So remember, raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs, if you're going to keep visiting the humane society to please your child--you're not always as strong as you think lol, and finally remember if you adopt a pet, you are a forever home, not just a home until they're naughty enough or you get bored with it.

And if you or your spouse are enlisting or already enlisted, remember to check out laws about what areas (FDS and PCS) don't allow aggressive breeds. It sucks, but most bases won't let any breed considered aggressive to live on base :( and some cities have ordinances against them.

In case you're wondering our pup is a lab/hound mix. He's a howler :)

No comments:

Post a Comment